Monday, December 22, 2008

Simple Beauty



My favorite holiday tradition of all is getting together with my family, eating great food, visiting, laughing, playing games, reading the Christmas account from the scriptures, and exchanging homemade gifts. This has been our tradition since I was a girl, and now I get to share this with my children.

Today we planned to visit Ephrata for this wonderful event. It is what I most look forward to during the holidays, but to my great disappointment, the snow forced us to stay home. I literally had to hold back tears. We set another date for after the holidays, but it just isn't the same.

The kids were going stir crazy in the house, so much that I offered to take them to one of their favorite sledding hills. They would have fun and I would enjoy a moment of peace and quiet. Turns out the snow was too fluffy and too deep for sledding, so they called me just shortly after dropping them off.

At that point, I decided it would be fun if all of us went to lunch. Barry came with me to pick up the kids. When we showed up he jumped out of the truck with his camera to take pictures of the kids playing in the snow. We laughed at the cute pictures he took, then he pulled the girls on a sled while he ran through the icy parking lot. Once again we were all laughing.

We had a wonderful lunch and enjoyed one another's company. Then we came home and put together a puzzle, played a game of cards, acted all silly, laughed some more, watched a touching movie, and read scriptures together before we put the kids to bed. It was a beautiful day! Not the day I had hoped for and yet it was simple and beautiful. I am grateful for simple, beautiful moments. Each day is full of them.

May we take the time to notice simple beauty and give thanks this special holiday season.

3 comments:

ChampionFam said...

It has been an increadible winter watching the snow fall and wondering if we would ever get out.
Reading your blog I recalled our own Christmas Eve spent home with a make do dinner and a crazy night of A Christmas Carol. I honestly can't stand the movie. But standing in the archway of the dinning room watching all of my boys(including my three year old) and my husband laughing, gave me a calm and safely gathered in feeling. We snuggled up in throws and let the fire roar. What a beautiful joy to spend a blustery winter night in my families company
Michaeline Champion

Rhonda Moses said...

Isn't it wonderful how sometimes the things we see as a negative event turn out to be some of our most treasured memories?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this experience...